Capcom is set to re-release several of their classic Arcade titles from the 80’s on the Nintendo Wii’s Virtual Console channel. The line-up consists of six different well-known arcade games of various genres, but all are true Capcom classics. The six titles are as follows (in no particular order):
– 1942, a classic vertical-scrolling shoot-’em-up set where the player controls a fighter jet and combats other jets and battlecruisers
– EXED EXES, another vertical shoot-’em-up but with a unique insectoid vibe
-Commando: Wolf of the Battlefield, a third vertical shoot-’em-up that grants you control of the hardened military veteran Super Joe as he blasts his way through seemingly endless supplies of baddies
– Black Tiger, a fantasy action platform game that provides simple yet effective RPG elements (level-ups and inventory!)
– Ghosts ‘n Goblins, perhaps the most famous of the bunch; players control Arthur, a knight in pursuit of deadly demons to rescue the damsel in distress, for the first time
– SONSON, an old sidescroller where people navigate monkey boy (or girl?) Sonson through several layers filled with fruits and goodies but also obstacles and enemies.
The re-release of these titles will introduce today’s younger gamers to Capcom’s arcade roots and will once again challenge the veterans from back in the day. The games are set to be released somewhere this winter, so expect a late 2010/early 2011 release.