It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: 1974 Gaming: Does the crowd decide or are they curious?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:38 am 

1974 Gaming: Does the crowd decide or are they curious?
By: Maikel de Bakker

Today, 23 November 2006, a small group of NiSuTe members went to a Dutch gaming event called the Gameplay located in Utrecht. Itís a gaming event that is getting bigger and bigger every year, and this year was no exception. This time they even let the retailers and press enjoy the show one day before the crowd does. This is nice for this gives me a chance to see what the press and retailers are thinking, or find attractive.

So there I was, standing at Utrechtís central station, camera and press card ready. Already I saw the first sighs of colleagues and fellow gamers gathering there. I went to pick up the rest of the crew; they were lunching at a restaurant nearby. We talked a bit there and went to the main event hall. But it seemed the press had to make a detour. So from the inside we had to go back outside and had to walk behind the immense building to a door on the other side. Once in we had to show our press passes and picked up our press kits. The hall was very spacious and dark (somehow that is always the case with gaming events) and big and flashy stands popped out of this gloomy darkness like small sparkling diamonds. They really did go level up this year! And it needs to be said that they did a good job at it.

Some eye catchers were the Microsoft stand, The PSP stand and the Wii stand. As you can see in the pictures below all stands were pretty nice. But one seemed to get a bit more attention than the others. Wii wonít call any names which one that was. But you probably know any way!

As retailers were gathering around to play and the press were hunting for more press kids and booth babes to photograph (sure we made some to just for you) we started to look for the little unseen jewels of this gaming events floor. And yes, we found some. Philips even impressed me a bit with a nice PC gaming set up. The Philips amBX is a creation of Philips that really puts you in the game. We made an appointment with Philips about this in the very near future so I wonít tell to much about it now.

Kenneth bumped in to the World of Warcraft Card game and started to drool all over it. I think he liked that one but that might just be me. The card game is much like other card games. Sitting round the table with actual cards, not a videogame. Not my kind of game. Maybe Kenneth will tell us more about that soon.

Now letís tell a bit more about the gigantic 3 (you know, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo). As you have read before, their stands were impressive and had tons of games to play. Although Sony didnít think it was that important to have more than 3 playable games for the PS3. The PSP was well taken care of with a lovely booth full sparkling PSP screens begging to be played. But some how we got distracted, by something else. Ahh, well just look here at these pics.

Then we turned our attention to the Microsoft stand. This time they provided us with enough new and old games to keep us busy. They even had a hummer ready for us to play Gears of War in. Pretty impressive I must say. Only nothing really popped out of the list of games. Too bad because some of us were really looking forward to Lost Planet. Well canít have them all.

Finally we came at the Nintendo stand and there was only one thing that really amused us there. It was very crowded and people were screaming and laughing. People were swinging and swaying or just playing the games on the Wii. So we gave it a go again. Just to see if its still fun to do after our adventure we had a few weeks ago at Nintendoís Benelux office. And as you can see we had fun although it took some of us (who played the Wii for the first time) some getting used to. So I had to tell some of them that they donít need to swing their arms that hard. I only hope that they will calibrate the Wiiís better for tomorrowís crowd. Well that was it for me! Thanks for reading this little insight of the Dutch ìGameplay 2006î

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:25 am 

Lol good report from this gaming event.
And nice photos too! ;)
I'm going to advertise it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:08 am 

hehehe thanks!!! and there will be more soon!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]